Post Time: 24 November 2018
The amount of smoke deposited on a product is influenced by:
• Smoke density - the thicker the smoke, the faster the rate of smoke deposition.
• Smoke oven relative humidity - high humidity favours smoke deposition but inhibits color development.
• The surface condition of the product - moist surface favors smoke but limits color development.
• Smokehouse temperature - higher temperature flavors smoke deposition rate.
• Air draft - sufficient air velocity is needed to bring smoke inside. Too fast air might reduce smoke density, not enough air speed and product may be over smoked. Usually a compromise is reached.